MS Finance How to Apply
Join our community. Start here.
You are about to take the first step toward enhancing your professional potential, exploring and expanding your career possibilities and discovering a new community of bright people from all over the world.
Click here to begin the application process.
In addition to the completed application and application fee ($90), you will be required to provide the following:
- Unofficial transcripts
- Self-reported GMAT or GRE scores
- Comprehensive work history
- Evaluative Interviews
- Two letters of recommendation (2 maximum)
- Self-reported TOEFL or IELTS scores (international only)
To ensure timely processing of your application, please do not send official transcripts unless you have been asked to do so by the Admissions Office. In some instances, the admissions committee may request the GMAT Analytical Writing Assessment essay. Candidates are responsible for requesting the AWA essay be reported to Vanderbilt University - Owen Graduate School of Management.
Admission Deadlines 2016-2017
*Admissions decisions will be released within 30 days of a completed application being submitted and candidates have 30 days to respond to an offer of admission.
||Oct. 6, 2016
||Nov. 10, 2016
||January 12, 2017
||March 2, 2017
*Limited to U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, or International students with a 4 yr U.S. undergraduate degree
Applications are accepted and reviewed after the 3rd round on a rolling basis.
Transcripts and Test Scores
- We require a separate transcript from every college or university you attended.
- Official transcripts are required from each institution only if you accept an offer of admission.
- If you have not graduated, and your conferred degree will be issued later, please wait to order a copy of your official transcript. Official transcripts must reflect the date that the degree was conferred and the degree awarded.
- If you cannot calculate your cumulative GPA or convert it to a four-point scale, leave the field blank; we will evaluate your academic record accordingly.
- International degrees will require certain requirements by Vanderbilt's University Registrar at the time of enrollment to verify the students degree. Please review the documents which will be required prior to beginning classes at Owen Graduate School of Mangement at the link above.
- Domestic and Permanent Residents should review the transcript requirements prior to enrollment by the University Registrar's Office at Vanderbilt University.
Transcripts may be mailed to:
Center for Data Management-OWEN
PMB 407833, 2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37240-7833
GMAT or GRE Scores
- All applicants must take the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- If you last took the test more than five years prior to submitting your application, you must take it again.
- We review your overall highest test score; most of our candidates take the test more than once to obtain a higher score. We value this commitment.
- Please list Vanderbilt University as a recipient of your score on test day.
Because we rely on the accuracy of self-reported test scores, it is not necessary to provide an official score report when you apply. You will be required to have the official test scores sent to Vanderbilt University only if you accept an offer of admission.
Essays and Recommendations
- Your essay gives us great insight into your personality and your other unique qualities.
- You are typically asked to explain your short-term (post-MS Finance) and long-term career plans as specifically as possible. Login into the application to see the specific questions you are to address in this year's application.
- Each essay is limited to no more than 500 words.
- Your recommenders can submit your recommendations securely online to us along with your other application materials.
- We require two recommendations from managers who can evaluate your personal qualities, ability to succeed in a top MS Finance program and potential for success in management and leadership roles
- Instructions will be included in an email sent to each recommender after you enter the person's contact information in the Recommender section.
- Acceptable recommenders include current and former employers or managers, current or former professors, and clients and individuals with whom you have worked regularly as long as they can provide a meaningful evaluation in a professional context.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified via email when your interview needs to be scheduled. Interviews may be conducted via Skype or in person –additional details will be provided to you via email. In some instances, a second interview is required. You will be contacted via email to schedule this appointment. You may anticipate needing to conduct an interview from 3 days to 4 weeks after a given application deadline. Regardless of your status in the application process, you may request to visit campus but are not guaranteed an evaluative interview. Skype interviews are only offered after an application has been submitted and given initial review.
Formal group MS Finance campus visit days, occurring throughout the year are by invitation only. These visit days allow you to attend class, have lunch with current students, and request to be considered for an interview with a member of the MS Finance Admissions Committee. Visitors will also learn about the career management center and leadership development program. To be considered for a formal campus visit and interview, apply early!
Your application is considered complete and ready when we receive your online application, the above documents and application fee. Although still required for admission, the evaluative interview and any other supplemental items are not required for the Admissions Committee to deny or waitlist an applicant.
Check the status of your completed application.
Do you have these questions?
- If I am admitted this year, may I defer my enrollment until next year?
- Is there any advantage to applying in an earlier application round?
These answers and more in our FAQs. Click here.