insideOWEN is a quarterly e-publication designed to keep alumni and friends informed and up to date on the news, events, people and programs of the Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management.
From the Dean: Heeding Bruce Henderson’s Advice as we Plot Owen’s Strategy
As we begin a new school year, I have been reflecting on the legacy of Bruce Henderson. A Vanderbilt alumnus and Owen School professor, Bruce was a pioneer in the business world, founding the Boston Consulting Group and participating in the creation of the management consulting industry. Working on the Owen School’s strategy this summer, I turned to Bruce’s teaching on competitive advantage. Bruce argued that competitive advantage was multifaceted and that every firm needed to understand what made it different than its competitors. Owen’s personal scale, collaborative culture, diversity and location in a vibrant, creative city are standout areas of significant competitive advantage. Taking Bruce’s advice to heart, we are doubling down on what makes us unique. We developed a new mission statement for the school, centered on delivering world-class business education on a personal scale.
Other stories in this issue:
Read the full issue online
- Professor Bob Whaley addresses recent market volitility in inverviews with Marketplace and All Things Considered.
- Welcome, New Students!
- Executive MBAs in New Harmony: Thoughts on Leadership
- MS Finance Class of 2015 Now 100% Employed!
- Social Media Highlights from #OwenLife
- High ROI: Five Vanderbilt Graduates Tell How Earning Both a JD and an MBA Yielded High Returns
- And More
View Previous Issues