Advanced Certificate in Health Care Management
Vanderbilt’s Advanced Certificate in Health Care Management program is designed to help seasoned business professionals better apply your management skills and knowledge to the complex, rapidly changing health care industry. As a student, you will attend a series of 12 two-day courses—grouped into six modules—over the course of one year, with each module focusing on the application of a business discipline within an industry-specific context.
Today, health care professionals are expected to be not only expert medical practitioners but also expert business leaders. Applying business skills in a health care environment is probably one of the most challenging aspects of your job as an experienced business manager. Through a series of weekend courses, focused on core business fundamentals in health care, you will
- learn specific business topics critical to health care management,
- educate yourself about new policies, management strategies and industry changes impacting health care,
- acquire new tools and techniques to integrate into your operations,
- network with other experienced health care professionals.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Trying to decide if the Advanced Certificate in Health Care Management is right for you? The program is designed especially for these individuals:
- Senior managers (and rising middle managers) who are new (or transitioning) to the health care industry and need assistance in translating your experience to this complex, singular industry
- Senior managers already in health care who desire a broader perspective of organizational functions within a successful health care organization—marketing, operations, accounting, finance and human resources
Vanderbilt’s Advanced Certificate in Health Care Management is well suited to complement an MBA degree or other graduate-level management degree with additional study in health care management.
To be considered for the certificate program, you must demonstrate solid understanding and application of business fundamentals—strategy, marketing, economics, accounting and finance, operations and organizational behavior. In addition, your resume must demonstrate five or more years of progressive management responsibilities. An MBA or undergraduate business degree is preferred. An interview is required. Want to get started? Contact our program team to take the next step.
CURRICULUM FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
The Vanderbilt Advanced Certificate in Health Care Management follows a weekend-only schedule to assure minimal disruption to your career and time away from your organization. All courses take place on weekends—one Friday and Saturday every month; each grouped into six modules. Each module consists of two weekend courses, spaced evenly over a one-year period. Participants have the option to extend the program over two years if necessary to best fit your schedule.
Each weekend course aligns a business discipline with the health care industry. Topics covered follow the schedule below.
COST AND LOCATION
Tuition for the Advanced Certificate in Health Care Management is $18,000, which includes all course materials and meals on class days.
All classes are held at the Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management, Nashville, TN.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, you will need to provide the following:
- Completed application
- Two References
to begin the application.
If you have any questions, please email Scarlett Gilfus or call 615.322.5851.