insideOWEN is a quarterly e-publication designed to keep alumni and friends informed and up to date on the news, events, people and programs of the Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management.
From the Dean: Competition moves the marbles
Marketplace competitors are like a bucket full of marbles. Each marble represents a firm and the contact boundaries between the marbles are areas of intense competition. Like marbles shifting in the bucket, as firms move in the marketplace they end up competing with different firms and their movement causes competitive shifts for the others. Boston Consulting Group (BCG) founder and Vanderbilt Owen Professor Bruce Henderson used this powerful analogy over 30 years ago, noting that firms compete on specific dimensions with many other firms. Dean Johnson discusses how this applies to Owen’s mission to be world class in his latest blog post.
Other stories in this issue:
Read the full issue online
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc) ranked number one by Financial Engineer
- GMAT success tips from a former Marine captain
- Vanderbilt MBA students part of winning team at first-ever PepsiCo Challenge MBA Case Competition
- What's it like to work at a winery?
- Research Spotlights
- From the Executive Development Institute
- Social Media Highlights from #OwenLife
- And More
View Previous Issues